Thursday, February 21, 2008

Read Aloud Plan: ABC by Dr. Seuss


Seuss, Dr. ABC. New York, NY: Random House, Inc., 1960.

For my read aloud, I again read to the little girl that I watch, who is three. For another class I already had to use the Dr. Suess's ABC's, so I decided to use that book with her as well. I really liked this book because it teaches the concept of uppercase and lowercase letters, as well as incorporates pictures so that the kids reading know what is coming. Terra already knows her letters and is learning how to write them, so I thought I would use this book to see if she could pick up on the small words. Like, at the beginning of each page the text says "Big B, little b, what begins with B?" So I tried to get Terra to recognize the word BIG and have her "read" the beginning of each page.
I think that this is a good book for kids learning how to read and learning their letters because it is a fun book for those who don't understand yet, but it is also fun for those learning to read to pick up on the rhyming and picture clues. I think she also likes being able to read parts of the book on her own, so that she is more involved with the story. It also seems to be fun for her to know what is coming, like when "Silly Sammy Slick sipped six sodas" he gets.... "sick, sick, sick!"

No comments: