Thursday, February 21, 2008

Yum! Mmmm! Que Rico!


Mora, Pat. Yum! MmMm! Que rico!. Illus. Rafael Lopez. Madison Avenue NY: LEE & LOW BOOKS Inc., 2007.

I had mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, I thought that the haikus were really creative and the pictures were AWESOME, but on the other hand some of the food that the book talks about were boring. I read this book to the little girl that I babysit, and (ok, i know she is young!) but I am pretty sure that she had no idea what a papaya was, or knew why in the world you would eat a prickly pear. I felt like the author had a good idea going with this book, but that she could have done a lot more with the book. Of course my favorite two were the one's about chocolate and chili peppers! I felt like the description of them through the haiku hit what eating these things is really like. I also liked the information about the different foods, but I think that part of the book would be for older children.

No comments: