Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Children's Literature, Briefly

Chapter 10.... Modern Fantasy


This was a neat chapter because it reminded me of all the books that I enjoyed to read when I was younger, but that I would have never thought to call it "Fantasy". I guess that when I always think of fantasy I immediately think of science fiction. However, this chapters covers all the different elements that Modern Fantasy includes, such as Magic, Other Worlds, Good Vs. Evil, Heroism, Special Characters, and Fantastic Objects. In fact, Science Fiction is more defined as being futuristic more than anything else. But with Modern Fantasy, the story elements still have to have a strong and a believable character that examines human issues, even if that main character happens to be a talking horse. It has also been found that most modern fantasy novels are written as a metaphor to reveal a truth. Some of the books that this chapter mentioned that I always loved when I was younger were The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, Winnie-The-Pooh, The Giver, and Wait Til Helen Comes.

And, not to get too off-topic, but I was suddenly reminded of this South Park episode where a talking towel decides to publish a book. At first nobody wants to publish his book because he is a towel, however the towel makes his story relatable to humans and it becomes part of Oprah's Book of the Month Club! Anyway, I suppose this episode involved a "special character" and could be considered Modern Fantasy as well!

No comments: