Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Chilren's Literature, Briefly

Chapter 1....... Why Read?

Tunnell, Michael O. and James S. Jacobs. Children's Literature, Briefly. 4e. Upper Sadle River NJ: Pearson/Merrill Prentice Hall, 2008.

Everyone can agree.... reading is good! Reading can be stiumulating, and when reading for enjoyment, is "worth it". Some even consider reading as "bibliotherapy" because of its therapeutic feelings, insight into different perspectives, and it creates a feeling of connectedness with others who have also enjoyed a specific book.
There are two types of reading... Unengaged, and Engaged. Typically Unengaged reading can be described as anything that is being forced onto a reader without any actual personal motivation. Engaged reading, however, is something a reader does for enjoyment or to gain something such as knowledge or an experience.

I enjoyed the quote by Walter Matthau, from the book "Books that Made the Difference," when talking about his favorite book: "I fell so in love with the book that I searched out and married the girl who wrote it."(8)

1 comment:

Denisse said...

As a young child, reading was my passion. I not only did it as a hobby, but I viewed it as part of my life. Now however, I've lost that gift. I personally experience unengaged reading more often than engaged because most of the reading I do is for an assignment or work. Therefore, I would really like to be a more involved reader so as to actually be able to enjoy what I read. My question here is, how do I reach that point again?